Stopping-off place in the Tour de France, the Hautes-Pyrénées are highly prized by cyclists. With no fewer than 14 passes, the Hautes-Pyrénées offers high-quality routes, varied tours, and extraordinary panoramas for amateur or first-time cyclists.
Ascending the main passes of high-Pyrenees
- The Peyresourde Pass : At 1,569 m it links the Luchon Valey (Haute-Garonne) with the Louron Valley (Hautes-Pyrénées). In detail
- The Aspin Pass : Between the Aure Valley and the Grand Tourmalet, the landscapes here are rich and varied. In detail
- The Tourmalet Pass : It is one of the highest road passes in the Pyrenees. Dominated by the Pic du Midi de Bigorre, the panoramas are quite simply like something from a fairytale. In winter the two slopes are the domain of skiers (the Grand Tourmalet). In detail
- The Soulor Pass: The link between Béarn and Bigorre, it joins the Ossau Valley (Pyrénées-Atlantiques) to the Azun Valley (Hautes-Pyrénées). In detail
- The Portet Pass - NEW!
- The other passes and climbs in the Hautes-Pyrénées :
- Couraduque Pass - 1,367 m
- Hourquette Ancizan Road - 1,564 m
- Val Louron Azet Pass - 1,580 m
- Port de Balès - 1,755 m
Important cycling events
Tour de France Stage - July :
The most popular and prestigious cycling competition in which the best cyclists in the world compete. It has taken place every year over 3 weeks in the month of July since 1903. During the race the racers cover over 3,000 km, cheered on by over 12 million spectators.
More information : letour.fr
The Pyrénéenne Cyclo Sportive - July :
An agreement between the 3 towns, Argelès-Gazost, Bagnères-de-Bigorre and St Lary-Soulan offers the special advantage of exploring the mythical passes of the central Pyrenees. The general idea stays the same, with there always being 2 timed races and an unnumbered cycle race.
Information and booking: http://www.lapyreneenne.a3w.fr/
The Campilaro - July :
Three days of 100% cycling at the heart of the Pyrenees. On the heels of the Tour de France and the Vuelta a Espana, with the Pyrenees as a justice of the peace, this race covers 370 kilometres alternating between timed marked and supervised routes, and climbs.
Start and Finish: Luchon
More information : www.campilaro.com
The Haute Route des Pyrénées - August :
Week-long race in one of the most beautiful cycling regions in Europe. The Haute Route Pyrénées allows amateur cyclists to discover the charm and authenticity of the mountain ranges, the iconic passes, and also some lesser known gems.
More information : www.argeles-gazost.com
Look Marmotte Granfondo Pyrénées - August :
After two successful runs, the Look Marmotte Granfondo Pyrénées already shines at an international level.
It is cross-country race of 160 km and a 5,600 m drop after climbing the Tourmalet (its 2 slopes), the Hourquette Ancizan Road, the Aspin Pass, and the Luz Ardiden Pass.
More information : click ici